Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Dream

A few years ago, while visiting my parents in Upper Arlington, I stopped at the local library on the way out of town. As it often does, the library was having a book sale. I cannot resist books for a buck or less, and so am compelled to buy anything that might remotely interest me or anyone I know. During this chance book buying spree, I saw a book titled "The Garden", by an author named H.A. Hartwick. Given the sketch on the book's jacket, I took it to be a gardening book and picked it up for Jess.

As it turned out the book is more philosophy than botany. After Jess updated me as to the nature of the book, I picked it up and loved it. In fact, I cannot recall a writer whose world-view I more closely parallel. That book served as a co-catalyst for the home movies I made which showcased Jessica's garden (the other catalysts being Jessica and her garden).

My B.A. is in philisophy, and my curiosity regarding Hartwick was piqued. Why had I not read him before? Even heard of him? Inside the book I found references to another of the author's books, this one entitled "The Dream." I had to have it, but couldn't find it?! Laura did, and she gave it to me as a gift prior to us moving to the farm. I've read it several times, and was doing so again during my recent business travels. This time through, I was amazed to discover a couple passages which had previously escaped my scrutiny.

Briefly, I'll tell you that Hartwick is a proponent of the idea that the world as we know it is truly dreamlike; the author suggests that this world cannot be real, but is fundamentally illusory (and must be so). Regardless, Hartwick recognizes that paradox is inescapably sewn into the fabric of this dream, such that we must live in it while simultaneously recognizing its falsity. To that end, Hartwick offers the following:

"Resign yourself to me, says the dream, as do trees, rain, earth, the ocean, and the air. Be like the cloud that floats because it can't help it. Be like the bird that sings for the same reason the cloud floats: because it must. No longer view events in terms of victory and defeat, but act as if these two ideas never existed. Mark out the area you can live in contentedly; then live within it, remaining quietly composed and attentive, no longer tormenting or rejecting the world (which may as easily bring us good as bad). Feel your life flow of itself, as the sea moves and the flower blooms, letting the world hold you in its arms, never struggling too hard to be good or bad, not fearing sadness too much, or wanting happiness too much, walking softly, and hurting nothing if you can help it. Remembering how many things have given up their lives that you may live, live so their sacrifice is not wasted. And knowing that you own nothing here, that you made nothing, that everything is merely lent to you, that all power is from beyond this dream. that no object here is real or belongs to you or anyone else --be kind. For whatever you do that is kind gives this dream a meaning --even if it proves to have no other."

Having no moved onto the farm, that passage takes on new meaning. As does this, as well:

"Strive for the effortless faith of animals, 'the dreams of nature' that live in 'the holy carelessness of the eternal now.' (George Macdonald) In them shine the immaculate, the undefiled beauty of life. They demand nothing, expect no praise, go quietly about their lives without fretting, open to the world as men are not, never hiding their life within...Their innocence is invulnerable. Nothing can overcome their trust, not the whole universe. It is absolute. See the bravery, the...throat tightening cheerfulness of birds in the face of their small fate: alone in the thrashing hedge at night in a storm, clinging to a branch, huddled against the rain, wind and darkens. In this huge mystery, they understand even less than we do, yet remain faithful to their duty and nature, never weeping, or questioning, but perfect in their acquiescence to the will that implacably urges birds, like men, through the world."

Upon reflection, it seems crazy to me now how and when those books found me. And a special thanks to Laura for finding the elusive "Dream."

2 comments:

  1. Shweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! As a writer, of course I am a lover of quotes and ideas, and general things to think about. And, now I do have something to ponder. Thanks!

    Oh, and an extra thanks for the George Macdonald quote. I may just borrow that for the opening page of my sequel novel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol "schweeeeet!" Reminds me of that David Spade character from SNL, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Followers