Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Toby-roping and sheep compost.

The vet came out earlier this week to give the animals a once over.  Everybody got their shots, with two exceptions: Toby and Dead Sheep.  Toby escaped the needle because the vet couldn't achieve the requisite proximity; Dead Sheep was, well, dead, and so was also spared.  The vet tells us we need to work with Toby so that we can get close enough to do this:
bobbythewrangler.jpg bobby the wrangler picture by dawniewoman

That looks fun.  Having dealt with Toby for a few months now, I can't help but think that getting the rope on him will not be the problem.  No, I'm more concerned with what happens post-roping.  The vet tells us llamas are strong kickers.  Having seen Toby punt the recently-departed Grommet  like a football, I'm buying what the vet is selling.  So we rope the llama, then what?  And how do we get the rope off?  I'm wondering if my time isn't better spent learning how to operate a tranquilizer gun. 


The vet also gave us advise regarding what to do with our recently deceased sheep: compost.  Ashes to ashes, sheep to dust.  Sounds a little weird, but I did find an article corroborating this idea here.  After talking with another vet, and doing some reading, it appears the places that render dead animals don't accept sheep and goats because of the potential for contamination.  Other than burying the sheep, we don't have many other options.  We'll see.  The first morning I wake up to find the dogs gnawing on recently unearthed sheep, I'm renting a back hoe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers